(Roasted Sesame Seed Salt)
Prep Notes: Gomashio is nice to have around. Guests sprinkle it on everything.
1 cup unhulled sesame seeds
2 teaspoons sea salt
1. Wash seeds. Rinse in fine mesh colander/strainer.
2. Roast on medium heat in a heavy-bottomed pan, stirring constantly for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. When the seeds turn a darker brown, are fragrant, and can be crushed between your fingers, pour them into a suribachi (ceramic bowl with ridges). See photo on page 223.
4. Roast salt quickly in same pan, add to seeds and grind in the suribachi. The seeds can also be ground in a food processor.
5. Place in a glass shaker or in a small bowl with a spoon for serving.