Key Lime Parfait
Prep Notes: Each step involves cooling and gelling, so allow for plenty of time. You will need 3 medium sized bowls. This recipe makes 22 to 24 parfait glasses, small bowls or cups, of at least 6 ounces each. It is possible to substitute agar powder for the flakes, at ¼ the volume. If using the powder, whisk longer and thoroughly to avoid clumping. When assembling an ingredient list, notice that the following are used more than once in this recipe: soymilk, agar-agar, brown rice syrup, maple syrup and vanilla.
Soymilk Kanten for Topping
1 quart unsweetened vanilla soymilk
5 tablespoons agar-agar flakes
1. In a saucepan bring soymilk to a boil, whisk in flakes and boil until flakes are dissolved.
2. Set aside to firm for at least 1½ hours, preferably in a cold place.
Bottom Pudding Layer
9 limes (~1½ cups juice)
1 quart unsweetened soymilk
1 quart apple juice
2 cups brown rice syrup
1 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
10 tablespoons agar-agar flakes
5 tablespoons arrowroot
1. Remove zest from limes with a zester or fine grater and set aside.
2. Juice the limes.
3. Whisk all the ingredients together, except the agar-agar flakes, arrowroot, ½ cup soymilk and lime zest.
4. Transfer this mixture to a pot, add agar-agar flakes, and bring to a boil, making sure the agar-agar flakes dissolve.
5. Dissolve the arrowroot in the reserved ½ cup soymilk.
6. Whisk arrowroot mixture into the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Stir 2/³ of the lime zest into the pot.
8. Remove from heat and let cool.
9. While still warm, remove 2½ cups of the gelled pudding mixture and pour into a bowl to save for the top layer.
10. Take the remaining pudding mixture and pour into 6 ounce parfait glasses, small bowls or cups. Fill the bowls about half way.
16 ounces soft tofu
Soymilk kanten from first step
2½ cups gelled lime pudding from second step
1 cup brown rice syrup
1 cup pure maple syrup
Pinch of sea salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Place the tofu in small pot with enough water to cover.
2. Boil the tofu for ten minutes; rinse in cold water and drain thoroughly.
3. In a blender, blend together the tofu, soymilk kanten, gelled lime pudding, rice syrup, maple syrup, vanilla and sea salt to create the smooth topping for the dessert. This may take several minutes to get the desired smooth consistency.
4. Spoon the topping onto the gelled bottom layer.
5. Lastly, use the remaining lime zest to garnish.
6. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.